Free Shipping for orders over $70 with code SHIPPING70 |

20% for orders over $100 with code Trooper20

When a Royal Australian Navy humanitarian mission turned into tragedy on the island of Nias.

April 02, 2022 1 min read

When a Royal Australian Navy humanitarian mission turned into tragedy on the island of Nias.

The call 


It had been like any other ordinary night. Josh Seaman had been out for dinner in Sydney 

with his Navy buddies when a call came through on his mobile around 11:00 pm. 

Immediately he sensed that something was amiss.  


Josh had followed his brother Ben into the Royal Australian Navy. He was six months just 

qualified as a clearance diver and Ben was a then a Petty Officer avionics technician 

working on Sea King helicopters. Josh was happy with his life. He was at peak fitness and 

newly qualified as one of the most elite positions in the military. His family was happy and 

healthy, and he had just become an uncle to Ben’s son Cooper a few months earlier.  


Ben had recently been deployed at short notice to support the humanitarian support 

mission in Indonesia following the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami that sadly claimed the lives of 

in excess of 200,000 people in 14 countries. The phone call Josh received would change 

the Seaman family forever. 


Josh recalls, “It was unusual to get a call that late at night, and I just had a feeling it wasn’t 

good news. It was the logistics officer from AUSCD Team 1. His tone wasn’t the usual 

tone you get from the officers at the Team. There was definitely deep concern in his voice. 


“He basically said that I was the first call because I was a serving member of the Forces. 

He said my family didn’t know yet, but a chopper has gone down from the HMAS 

Kanimbla detachment – my brother’s ship. 


“There was a numbness I can’t explain. I knew there were only two choppers on there that 

the maintenance team were regularly aboard, and the chances are Ben would be on one 

of them.” 


The Officer said they understood there had been between 10 and 12 fatalities, but they 

didn’t have the list of names and were standing by the phone and in constant 

communication with Headquarters. 


It was the worst phone call Josh could have got. 


The mission 


When the Australian amphibious transport ship HMAS Kanimbla was rapid deployed in the 

immediate aftermath of Indonesia’s Boxing Day Tsunami, it carried two Sea King helicopters



For Ben, this deployment was meaningful and important work, but when the Kanimbla was 

returning home to Australia, an earthquake hit Indonesia, its epicentre on the island of 

Nias. HMAS Kanimbla was immediately ‘crash sailed’ from Singapore during a port visit 

on return home where they were ordered to return. The massive earthquake measured 

8.7 on the Richter-Scale and had caused devastation on Nias off the west coast of 

Sumatra. 676 people lost their lives and 25,335 were injured as a result of the earthquake 

and aftershocks.  


Two hours later – another call   


By now, the whole family was in shock, but not knowing whether Ben was one of the 

casualties or not. Then they got the news they had been praying for. 


“It was about two hours later when my mum rang me and said ‘he's okay, Ben’s okay.’”, 

says Josh. “There was an enormous feeling of relief, and at that stage I got quite an 

adrenaline rush from the news to be honest.” 


Ben finally got to the satellite phone and spoke to the family after waiting almost six hours 

for his turn.  


Josh’s thoughts turned to the others who had received devastating news. “It’s something 

you can never forget, that's for sure but as quick as that feeling of relief had come, it 

washed over, and I felt guilty thereafter. 


“I then started thinking about the people that are going through what I had just 

experienced, but they were getting the phone call with the worst news possible. I knew 

there had been multiple fatalities, and that guilty feeling that my brother wasn’t a casualty 

but their loved ones were, still lingers. Whenever I think about it or recall the events of that 

night, I can still feel that emotion.” 


Remembering those who were lost 


Approaching Nias in the early hours of April 2, 2005, the Sea Kings were put to work. The 

aircraft, piloted by lieutenants Paul Kimlin and Jonathan King, and carrying nine 

passengers, were wings up and heading for Nias with service and medical personnel. 

Just after 4pm local time, call sign Shark 02 made a final approach to land on a sports 

field in the village of Tuindrao on Nias. 


But a mechanical fault turned catastrophic when pilots were deprived of any means of 

controlling it, the aircraft pitched downwards from about 20 metres and crashed.  

The aircraft crew of four died, as did seven passengers. Their names never to be 

forgotten. Squadron Leader Paul McCarthy, Lieutenant Matthew Davey, Lieutenant 

Jonathan King, Lieutenant Paul Kimlin, Lieutenant Matthew Goodall, Flight Lieutenant 

Lynne Rowbottom, Petty Officer Stephen Slattery, Sergeant Wendy Jones, Leading 

Seaman Scott Bennett. 


Two survivors, Shane Warburton, a crew member of the Kanimbla, and Scott Nichols, an 

RAAF medic, escaped but were badly injured. 



The aftermath 


A Defence Board of Inquiry was established by the end of April 2005 to determine the 

cause, and it took until December 2006 to deliver their report.  


It concluded that the primary cause of the accident was a failure of the flight control 

system.  A key component of the flight control system was not properly secured during 

maintenance, which resulted in the pilots losing ability to control the aircraft and was the 

result of a series of errors and non-compliances with Maintenance Regulations. 


More than 160 witnesses were heard as part of the 20-month deliberations which also 

reviewed 560 exhibits, conducted hearings over 111 days and produced approximately 

10,000 pages of transcript which consisted of 759 Findings and 256 Recommendations for 

improving aviation safety.  


The personal cost 

The process going through the Board of Inquiry was not a happy one. “Everyone handles 

grief differently, but the Board of Inquiry knocked everyone around,” says Josh. 


“I had many conversations with people, especially with Ben's closer mates that were 

involved, and I was just trying to understand what Ben was going through. 


“There was a lot of frustration and resentment from them as a collective due to the 

pressure and operational requirement to keep the helicopter in the air.  They were under a 

lot of stress and duress trying to do the best job they could. But ultimately when you’re told 

what to do from the top in the military - you do it. 


“Throughout the Inquiry, Service personnel and their families went through distressing 

times as they were seeking out what had gone wrong and who was responsible.” 


Josh is no fan of how we handle these types of inquiries. “The way that we (Australia) go 

about those inquiries is from my perspective, a bit heartless and that process itself caused 

a lot of stress and heartache for the families. 


“I completely understand that process needs to happen but it's not a very humane way 

that they go about it, especially the length of time things dragged on without people being 

able to get some closure and some resolve and move on.” 


Moving on 

Josh knows the toll it took on his brother. “I have an image in my mind of Ben when he 

came back. It fractured him. It’s almost a feeling you can see across his face and it also 

reflects how I feel about that situation and how it changed him.” 


The Inquiry, which considered 44 Terms of Reference, ultimately laid blame and 

responsibility on Navy for the dark day in its history.  


Now a Chief Petty Officer, Ben remains a proud member of the Royal Australian Navy and 



has deployed many times since the horrific event. This has included a seven-month 

deployment in the Middle East conducting anti-piracy and counter-terrorism operations on 

board HMAS Anzac, flying as avionics technician on the Sikorsky S-70B-2 Seahawk 

helicopter. Now he’s turned his attention to training new generations of avionic 



Ben has found solace in the tragedy by becoming heavily involved in the education of the 

lessons learned. Several days after the accident, he and the maintenance team onboard 

the Kanimbla along with the ship’s crew built a memorial at the crash site and held a 

service in honour of their lost ship mates. The memorial was made from a Seaking tail 

rotor blade. A cast of that blade was later made. Its location now is in the home of Navy’s 

Fleet Air Arm where a permanent memorial site was made and serves as a tangible 

reminder of Navy’s history of service and sacrifice.  


Josh tells this story so that we never forget there is tragedy outside of conflicts. Our 

service personnel continue to make the ultimate sacrifice, and their families bear the 



We salute and remember them all. 

2 Responses

Keith Cook
Keith Cook

April 03, 2022

I found this story very interesting and gave me an insight into the things that can happen at any given time. I am a friend of Josh’s father Brian Seaman and did not know of this story. Probably because it happened prior to me meeting Brian. I can fully understand the effect it must have had on the family. My Father was in the 7 Machine Gun Battalion and served in Papua New Guinea during World War 2. He would never discuss much about what happened during the War whenever I would ask him as a small child. He never showed any emotions about it but it must have had an effect on him. Later in his life he sold everything that reminded him of his time in service. All his medals and a Japanese sword he had brought back home as a souvenir.

 Catha Hogan
Catha Hogan

April 03, 2022

The toll that this tragedy had, was immense!!!! The families who lost their loved one was deeply felt by many.
For Ben, my son,It had a huge impact that left a deep scar. I hope Cooper and Emma , his precious children, read this story one day about their father and the tragedy that eventuated in Nias!

Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.

Also in The Brew Room

A Tour of Aussie Trooper Service and Stories
A Tour of Aussie Trooper Service and Stories

May 11, 2022 4 min read

Read More
A Force For Good
A Force For Good

April 29, 2022 3 min read

Read More
Nobody Can Soldier Without Coffee
Nobody Can Soldier Without Coffee

April 12, 2022 2 min read

Read More